Saturday, December 8, 2012

Third Trimester Recap


Here is a run-down of some things I experienced in my third trimester.

Total Weight Gain: This is slightly embarrassing but in an effort to keep it real here, I'm posting my total weight gain...so far. As of my last appointment two days ago, I gained a solid 40 pounds. That sounds terrifying. My doctors still aren't very concerned and told me first time moms tend to retain a lot of extra fluid. Um, ok. I hope that means in addition to a 7-8ish pound human I also give birth to 30 pounds of water weight. Not too likely though, is it?

Stretch marks: None! Halleluiah! Keeping my fingers crossed I can make it through this last stretch of the journey (no pun intended) mark free.

Belly button: Definitely an "outie" now!

Emotions: As of today, at 39 weeks pregnant, I'm still hanging solid. I've been telling myself that this babe isn't going to come before my due date so I don't think I'll start losing it until after our DD. I'm also still working which makes for a more tired me, but keeps me distracted, which is good. However, if the babe decides she's going to settle in for another two weeks, I'm pretty sure I'm going to fray pretty quickly.

Exercise: Very little at this point. I was exercising regularly until about 32 weeks and then slowed down quite a bit. Walking is good, but puts a lot of pressure on my bladder. I can make it about a half mile before I really need to make a pit stop. I found breathing to be much more of a challenge this trimester as well. There just isn't as much room in there for your lungs to stretch out!

Baby movement: LOTS of movement between weeks 28-37. Less in the past two weeks because I think she's running out of room in there. She's heads down and has been for a few weeks. While she can no longer do somersaults, she does like to stretch her legs a lot and I often see or feel little feet sticking out of the right side of my body. She also responds to voices, mainly James'. I think because she hears mine all day she's pretty used to it. But when James talks to the belly she starts wiggling right away. Already a daddy's girl!

Sleep: Honestly, I haven't slept through the night since I was about 8 weeks pregnant. Even at that point I was up at least once a night to pee. And now...I'm up at least 4-6 times a night to pee and at least 1-2 other times to at least roll over. Honestly I feel more rested when I can squeeze in a two hour nap in the afternoon than I do most mornings. Also, apparently now I'm a snorer. Super.

Nesting: Again, lots of nesting going on these past few weeks. Lately I've been obsessed with laundry. Not a single piece of clothing stays in the hamper more than 24 hours in our house! I don't know why, but I just have a compulsion to have house full of clean laundry when I go into labor.

Cravings: Lately I've been guzzling milk. I go through a gallon myself every 3-4 days. Strange considering I never really drank much milk before pregnancy or even through the first two trimesters. Also lately I've been into cucumbers. I can eat a whole one in one sitting.

Aversions: None that I can think of, although I cut out my half-caf and decaf coffee all together because it was giving me heartburn. 

Morning sickness: Nope.

Baby's size: week 28 - size of a head of iceburg lettuce (2.2-2.5 lbs), week 40 - size of a watermelon (7-8 lbs)

Unwanted side effects: I have been noticeably more tired this trimester, especially in the last month or so, than I was in the second trimester. I've been introduced to heartburn as well, which is something I never had before in my life. Also, probably one of my biggest complaints is carpal tunnel syndrome, which has gifted me with swollen hands, sore joints and numb fingers 24/7. If I'm on my feet all day, they will swell too. None of my clothes fit and even many of my maternity jeans are uncomfortable at this point (note to self - you will hear people say "buy the same size you were before you were pregnant" but that doesn't work out well if you gain 40+ pounds!). But I refuse to buy more clothes so for now I pretty much wear sweatpants every day.

Wanted side effects: Pretty much nothing at this point. Even my hair is driving me crazy because it is so thick (I don't think I lost a strand in 10 months!) and unruly!

What I miss: sleep, exercise, feeling like "myself" physically, my clothes and shoes...oh my shoes, especially my boots now that it's fall/winter! I've worn the same pair of sneakers for the past 6 weeks. I'm so ready to throw them away! I also miss sleeping on my stomach and being able to shave my legs and paint my toes.

What I'm looking forward to: First and foremost, meeting our little girl! Also, I'm looking forward to the challenge of getting back into shape. I like a good project.

Is it all worth it? Yes, definitely!

PS -  here are my recaps from the first trimester and the second.

5 comments:

  1. I feel like we just bonded after reading this! =) Your third trimester sounds a lot like mine was. My carpal tunnel is finally starting to fade at 6 weeks postpartum.
    I'm so jealous that you got zero stretch marks! You must have great skin elasticity. As for the 40 pounds, try not to worry too much about it. Easier said than done, I know. With all of my pregnancies I gained around 50 pounds and with a good diet and exercise it will come off, probably pretty quickly for you since you eat healthy and love to run.
    You're getting so so so so close! I can't wait to read about the birth of your baby girl and see her cute little face! Hang in there. You won't be pregnant forever, even if it feels like that sweet babe might never come out. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ashley. Good to hear positive words from such an experienced mama. I'm hanging in but I'd be lying if I didn't say I am starting to get a bit antsy at this point. I'm staying focused on our due date so hopefully I won't lose it completely for another week or so, haha. We'll keep you all posted! Thanks again for sending happy thoughts! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Almost there!

    I think I mentioned before that I gained 40-45 lbs with both pregnancies and both times lost all the weight by 6 months out without any crazy diet or intense exercise (I usually just go for 2 mile walks with kids in a stroller for exercise). You'll be fine.

    With Warren I didn't get any stretch marks. I did with Bradford. They appeared the week before he was due. And then he was 8 days late. We know now that he was carb-loading then. Obviously massive last-minute growing since he was 11 lbs 8 oz. At this point, I'd say you'll be fine unless Baby Girl is giant.

    And now for my TMI new mom tip: ***Stop reading now if you are Cary's parents, grandparents, or in-laws***: When you are feeling sexy after 6 weeks, buy some lube. Post-baby loving doesn't feel good. You'll need extra help from the lube. It hurts. It takes a surprisingly long time for everything to go back to normal. I think it might have been 6 months both times for me. Go slow, shallow, and keep trying. (Also, this advice comes from a double c-section mom. It might be worse for vaginal deliveries)

    Can't wait to hear the good news! And I love your count-down chalkboard.

    XO,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, Heather, you are hilarious. Thanks for the "tips". James has already been forewarned, haha. Bradford obviously knew how to get what his belly needed from his mama in that last week, I'm super impressed you only gained 40-45lbs considering almost 12 of those where him! Thanks for all the well wishes, I'm sure this will all turn out fine, right? Riiiiight!

      I'll keep you all posted on baby watch. My guess is she's staying in there for as long as possible!

      xoxooo

      Delete