Friday, September 28, 2012

Second Trimester Recap

I did this for my first trimester so I figured I'd do the same now that I made it through the second. If nothing else, this is to remind me what the experience was like if we decide to have another baby some day in the future.

Despite the indisputable expansion of my waistline, I would say this trimester was easier to handle than the first. The first trimester (especially as a first time mom) hits you like a bomb. The tiredness, nauseousness, hormones, and the general sense of unease that you feel those first few weeks are tricky to navigate. Thankfully most of those symptoms leveled out for me in the second trimester. Many people say the second trimester is the "honeymoon" period and I would have to agree with them, so far. Even just a week into my third I'm already getting the sense that the next two and a half months could be less enjoyable overall.
Almost 29 week bump....and a sneak peek at a few nursery details!
Here is a run-down of some things I experienced in my second trimester. I'm keeping it real here so skip the rest of this post if TMI isn't really your thing:

Total Weight Gain: Get ready for this. My total so far (including the first trimester) is 28 pounds! Yikes! My doctor doesn't seem nearly as concerned mainly because I'm still eating pretty healthy meals (just more of them!) and exercising. Apparently it is common for first time moms to retain fluids?? I hope that's all it is but I'm skeptical. I look back at my 6 week photo with longing...I hope I can see that bod again someday. I wish I could say I was one of those women who just grew a belly however, it turns out baby weight for me has made a home on my hips, rear end, thighs, arms and face too! Yay.

Stretch marks: None yet but my skin has been itchy as it gets tighter. Almond and jojoba oil have helped. 

Belly button: Still an "innie" but it's starting to get pretty stretched tight. 

Emotions: Emotionally I think I've been pretty even keeled, though sometimes I think I cry easier at silly things in books, movies or TV shows. A few times I've been in a mood and unloaded on James for no real reason (but quickly apologized). Besides the moments when I feel a little panicky about the idea of becoming a parent which can result in a minor freak-out moment, I'd say I'm holding steady.  

Exercise: Jogging 3-4 times a week early on (weeks 14-24). Still running every now and then but focusing mostly on walking or using our elliptical machine now due to pressure on my bladder that is making it impossible to run without being really, really uncomfortable. Like, "OMG I'm going to pee in my pants" uncomfortable.

Baby movement: Felt my first "tickles" at 14 weeks. James felt them by week 18. At 28 weeks they had turned into full on somersaults!

Nesting: Oh yes! Nesting is for real. Some mornings I have to fight the urge to get up at 5 am to organize the junk drawer. My next project is to dust all of the trim around our floor - once I can figure out how to get down there that is.

Cravings: Nothing especially strange. Mostly still cold, fresh fruit (raspberries, watermelon, grapes and lately apples) and an occasional sweet tooth. Oh - did I mention I started eating chicken? That probably deserves its own post because it's a pretty funny story about my "first time". I know, I'm a terrible, terrible human being. It was the baby, I swear.

Aversions: Not many, though sadly I'm still not really digging Mexican food.

Morning sickness: A thing of the past, thankfully!

Baby's size: week 13 - the size of a peach; week 28 - size of a head of iceburg lettuce (2.2-2.5 lbs!)

Unwanted side effects: Weight gain (ha!), waves of tiredness, clumsiness, constant potty breaks, sore feet, inability to concentrate, seriously Ginormous boobs. Yes, with a capitol G. Peeing when sneezing. For real.

Wanted side effects: My hair is still growing like a weed and I have some seriously amusing dreams.

What I miss: (Real) running; being able to wear my pretty dresses; not having to worry about every little thing I feel/eat/smell/touch; good sexy time (just keeping it real); sleeping through the night.


We'll see what's in store for us in the last lap of this adventure! 

2 comments:

  1. Cary, you look beautiful, the pounds don't matter, you're really truly beautiful, friend!! (Also, I want to know where you got your jeans in your pic!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure where you've put all those pounds you say you've gained. You look fabulous! Good luck with your third trimester. It's not the most pleasant, but it definitely has the greatest reward at the end!

    ReplyDelete