Monday, September 3, 2012

Running for Two: Baby on Board!

I love running. But running while pregnant is a totally different beast. Expectations must be adjusted. Clothing doesn't fit. Chaffing happens in places you didn't think possible. Things jiggle. You probably don't look as cute as you think you do. And it's all okay because running throughout pregnancy is good for both you and your babe. The most important thing to remember is to listen to your body. Listen to that little voice in your head that has been with you since the day you found out you were pregnant. You know, the one that worries too much and constantly has your babe's best interests in mind. If she says "walk." You walk. If she says "not today," then take the day off. Also important - listen to your doctor. So far, I've been fortunate enough to have a low risk pregnancy and because I was running regularly before I got pregnant, my doctors have given me the green light to run as long as I feel comfortable doing so. But not all pregnancies can support active exercise like running. There's no reason to risk the health of your babe in order to get a workout in. There are lots of lower impact activities that can do the trick too!


Here are a few things I've learned over the past few months:

1. Lower your expectations. Running pregnant isn't about racing or setting PR's. I'm running slow these days. Anywhere between 2-4 minutes a mile slower than my normal pace, in fact.

2. Set realistic goals. For example, I recently ran a 5K. My goal was to run faster than 10 minute miles and break 30 minutes. I finished the race in 29:32 (9:44 miles) and what happens to be the slowest 5K I've ever run still turned out to be a pregnancy PR for me. I was happy with the results.

3. Invest in a good running bra. Seriously. I think I've gained at least 2lbs in each lady lump since becoming pregnant. And I was well endowed to begin with. A good bra can mean the difference between a great run and a horrible (and painful!) run never worth repeating. They won't be cheap, but you'll get your money's worth, especially if you plan on breastfeeding for a significant amount of time after your baby is born. Your bump might disappear but those girls won't!

4. Running skirts are saviors! I owned three running skirts but only wore them once in awhile before getting pregnant. I have found that while none of my running shorts fit, I can still wear all of my skirts because they are made of stretchy material. And they are 100-times more comfortable that shorts (no wedgies!).

5. Invest in good, supportive shoes. Before getting pregnant I ran barefoot - or in Vibram Fivefingers. I love this type of running. But I found out pretty quickly as I began packing on the pregnancy pounds that I needed something more supportive for my runs. I started running in my old orthotics again, paired with low profile running shoes and so far I haven't had any knee or back problems. Fingers crossed.

6. Speaking of knee and back problems, be aware that during pregnancy your body produces the hormone relaxin which causes your joints to loosen. This can make you more prone to ligament injuries. Keep careful tabs on how your body feels during each workout. Stretch after every run and stop running if you think you may be developing an injury. Speaking as someone who has spent a good deal of time on the "injured" list, running through the pain is just not worth it. Especially while pregnant, you have enough pains to deal with!

7. Take walk breaks. Some days I feel great and don't need to adjust my pace or slow to a walk. Other days it's a different story all together and I end up walking more than I run. Just listen to your body and your heart rate and remember, it's not really about you or your ego anymore!

8. Carry two things with you at all times - water and a cell phone. Water because it's extra important to stay hydrated and a phone because you just never know when you might need to call someone to come pick you up! I was caught in a bad thunderstorm a few weeks ago and was glad I had mine with me so I could call James to come get me. Rain is one thing, lightning is a whole different story!

9. Go potty right before you leave for a run and plan a route where you have access to a restroom, porta-potty or wooded area in case you need to make a pit stop! This is my biggest complaint - having to pee ALL THE TIME! The babe puts a lot of pressure on your bladder while running. Sometimes I pee before leaving for a run and five minutes into it, I need to go again. This is so annoying but there's not much you can do about it except plan for pitstops.

10. I said it before but it's worth repeating. The best advice I can give you is to listen to your body and adjust your workouts accordingly. Your baby doesn't care if you're running 7 minute miles or 17 minute miles. I plan on running as long as I can but at some point, I know I'll probably have to stop and replace my exercise routine with something less intense. That's cool with me.

Six and a half month preggo baby bump

No comments:

Post a Comment