Friday, January 4, 2013

Two Weeks

We just got home from our two week pediatrician appointment. Cece's doing awesome. She failed her hearing test in her right ear at the hospital so we had her retested today and she passed with flying colors. When she was born she weighed 7 pounds, 3 ounces and was 18.5 inches long. By the time we left the hospital, she was down to 6 pounds, 13 ounces (normal weight loss). Today she's already up to 8 pounds, 2 ounces and 21 inches long! She breastfeeds like a champ and I could tell she was filling out but I had no idea babies could grow that fast.

Our pediatrician also commented on how alert and active Cece is. She is "acting like a much older baby than she is" were her exact words. We'll see how long that maturity level lasts. It would be great if we could just skip past the terrible twos, haha. Somehow I don't see that happening with our child though.

Two weeks into motherhood and I'm finally starting to feel like I'm settling in. To be honest, I had a few rough patches in the first week and a half. The transition to parenthood is hard and I think I underestimated what it would be like to take care of a fully dependent, demanding little human. Add in the exhaustion and raging hormones and it can get messy fast. And it's tough because everyone expects you to be so happy because it really is one of the most joyful times of your life, but sometimes you just can't stop the tears from falling and you feel guilty for being sad. Apparently this is totally normal for new moms, though. They even have a term for it. I'm just happy to be emerging from the fog and grateful the baby blues only hung around for a short time. Another plus is that I've already lost almost 30 pounds (by doing absolutely nothing!) and while I still have 15 to go, and I'm sure they won't come off as easy, I'm finally starting to physically feel more like myself again. 

These photos were taken on Cece's two week anniversary. Also be sure to check out our Instagram page for daily iPhone pics!

PS- I'm working on Cece's birth story and hope to be able to share that with you all soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment