Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Midwest Travel

Both James and I spent some time in the midwest this fall for separate work related trips. James flew out to Chicago in mid-September for the International Manufacturing Technology Show, also known as IMTS. IMTS is a huge manufacturing trade show held in Chicago every two years. James also attended it in 2010.

In typical James style, he didn't take many pictures while in Chicago. Below is one from his company's booth and a video he took of a robotics operation. The rest are photos I borrowed from the IMTS website. IMTS is a big deal in the manufacturing industry. I think James enjoyed spending the week with colleagues and learning about the latest and greatest in manufacturing technology. See more photos from IMTS here.
 

As for me, I traveled to Duluth, MN for a small conference called NEMO University8, or NEMO U8.

NEMO stands for "non-point education for municipal officials". It brings together folks from across the country interested in working with communities to address natural resource conservation through land use planning and site design. The conference allows for networking, sharing of resources, educational workshops and lots of opportunities for fun. The conference is put on by the NEMO "hub" located in my office which means that just about everyone I work with (all 8 or so of us) is involved. NEMO U is always a good time. You might remember I blogged about NEMO U7, held in 2010 in Portland, ME. I didn't bring my camera but snagged these photos below were taken by colleagues.

My work peeps. We are a silly bunch!

In addition to a great conference agenda, NEMO U's always have the best "extra-curricular" activities. In Duluth we enjoyed a scenic train ride along the shores of Lake Superior, an afternoon of kayaking and happy hour at the Great Lakes Aquarium.

Lots of fun...and a bit of work on too. Here are a few snapshots of the mapping workshop I led at the conference just to prove there was some actual learning going on in Duluth.

And few parting shots from the shores of Lake Superior.


2 comments:

  1. Bald eagles! I love that you saw them!

    There's a golden eagle that lives near me. I've seen it a few times. I live so close (a mile?) to a river and it's a heavily wooded area, so it's great eagle living :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just ran across your blog by accident after searching for aqua and yellow nurseries, (which is adorable)so I started perusing and I saw that you visited Duluth, MN in October and I live in Duluth! Just thought that was the weirdest coincidence. What are the chances!

    ReplyDelete