Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Room Reveal: Living Room

Time for another room reveal! This time we're in the living room. Or, do you call it a "great room"? I honestly had never heard of that term until about a year ago or so. I don't think we use it much in southern New England. Or maybe I'm just weird. Or maybe I've never lived in a house with a room worthy of such a name. In any case, call it what you will, it's pretty darn great in our eyes. There is still some work to do, mainly in the form of art on the walls and maybe a few window treatments, but this is what we have so far.


Our couch and chaise are awesome but they were an awesomely bad headache to buy. We got them from West Elm during their big Thanksgiving sale (thank you Black Friday) but didn't actually receive our sofa until last week. It was a long wait but patience paid off and because of my "exceptional understanding" and effort to wait it out, we got these suckers for almost 60% off. And they are a dream to lounge on too!

The bright rug is fun and retro. We got it on sale on Overstock.com (seriously!) along with those two yellow chairs which are surprisingly comfy and cute. The table and chairs in the back corner are also from Overstock. Some miscellaneous furniture like the side table and ottoman came from our old apartment. That blue pillow behind Summit's head is actually a bath mat I bought from Ikea and made into a pillow. It works perfect as a floor pillow when we have a lot of people hanging with us in the living room.


Summit approves of the artwork and of course the fireplace which she spends many hours roasting in front of. The picture above the mantle reminds her of hanging with her BFFs.


You might be wondering if we just sit and talk in this room. We do plenty of that but every once in awhile we do enjoy a good dose of reality TV just like the rest of the world. However, I wasn't psyched about the idea of having the TV mounted over the fireplace so James came up with another brilliant solution to hide it behind the fireplace. What a smarty pants! Also, check out the side tables - I snagged those vintage beauties at a nearby consignment shop for $40 a piece. Retro!



Since our foyer leads directly into our living room I figured I'd share a few pictures of that too. The bench and coat rack are pretty functional but the chandelier is my favorite. At some point we have plans for a picture wall above the foyer side table as well.

And finally, the best part about our living room - really about our house...is the view.


5 comments:

  1. Hi Cary,

    Jen Martin (a former roommate of mine and yours!) alerted me to your blog when I was telling her about a gorgeous grey couch in a West Elm catalog. I love your living room and really enjoyed getting a peek at it. Thanks for sharing! The yellow chairs and the chandelier really made my day :) Happy decorating!

    Beth Dripps

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Beth, thanks for the sweet comment. It's always nice to hear that new people are checking out the blog. The sofa and chaise from West Elm are as great in person as they look in the catalog. The cushions are down and oh so comfy. As I mentioned in the post we were lucky to find these on sale (if you wait they will probably go on sale again!) and because of the inconvenience of waiting and some unfortunate miscommunication on the part of West Elm customer service, we ended up getting a huge discount on them in the end. So, it was totally worth it! Good luck with your own home decorating projects! Best wishes, Cary

      Delete
  2. I LOVE LOVE all these home posts! It's just BEAUTIFUL!! I can't wait to come see in person. You guys are a-mazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always thought a "great room" was when the living room and family room were combined into one room, rather than seperate spaces. Since it is your house, you can call it something fancy like "drawing room" or "parlor" or "smoking room" or anything else old-timey and fancy.

    I love all of the furniture and color choices in that room. My favorite thing is the dog painting above the fire place. So cute and colorful. That sunset pic of the monster window is fantastic. What a fabulous room to have in your home. It's so welcoming and cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I clicked over from Centsational Girl re: your tv solution. Totally brilliant!
    You have a gorgeous home - I have Orb Light envy!

    Erica

    ReplyDelete