Thursday, January 26, 2012

Tile Trials: Kitchen Backsplash

If you remember, James and I tiled the laundry room, powder room and entire downstairs ourselves (with a little help from friends!). What we learned from that process was that tiling isn't hard or scary and it is definitely a DIY project. I wish we had learned that before we hired someone to tile our master bathroom - but more on that later! Anyway, after all the lessons learned from tiling those big areas, we were more than ready to tackle our kitchen backsplash tile and I was definitely ready to finally complete our kitchen.



We found a medium sized glass subway tile in the perfect shade of bluish green in Lowes. While it was the perfect color, the price wasn't so perfect. I was able to save quite a bit of money by purchasing it through a wholesale distributor and a few weeks ago the tiles arrived on our front porch. It feels like I have been waiting and waiting and waiting to do this project but there were a bunch of other slightly more critical projects that had to be finished before we could get started on this one. Luckily, once we started, it didn't take long to get the tiles up and grouted. Like I said, tiling is easy-peasy (term borrowed from my friend Nicole). You should totally try it!


Placing the tile on the Thinset cement. No going back now!




The next step is grouting and sponging.




And then...it's done. And oh so pretty to look at.



What do you think? Do you like the color? It's hard to tell in pictures but it is the perfect shade and the size of the tiles is just right for the square footage we had to cover. Also, it adds a splash of color and retro style to our lovely white kitchen.



Tomorrow I'll reveal the rest of our kitch. All I have to say about it is that I think I'm in LOVE. Hope you like it too!


6 comments:

  1. I truly love your kitchen. The colors and materials are lovely. I feel like I could just move right into your home and not want to change a thing about your kitchen! I hope your beautiful kitchen provides you with years and years of tasty food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather. But WAIT! There are more kitch pics coming. Hopefully tonight. =)

      Delete
  2. I love the color! And you and James make everything look "easy-peasy". Somehow I doubt that my not-at-all-crafty-or-DIY self would handle it all that well. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you please tell me where you bought your tiles? I love the colour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure thing! Here's the link: http://www.tilestoreonline.com/2_X_4_Brick_Subway_Glass_Tile_s/258.htm

      They come in lots of fun colors but the one we choose was called "Moonlight". Good luck!

      Delete


  4. Thanks for sharing, I will bookmark and be back again













    Kitchen Tiles in chennai

    ReplyDelete