Thursday, January 19, 2012

Room Reveal: Powder Room

We are at a point in the moving process where most of our "important" rooms (bedroom, kitchen, living room, bath) are set up just enough to be comfortable and livable, but are still quite unfinished in terms of decor. We have a long way to go before we're done, but I figured I'd share a few "room reveals" as we get each living area up to snuff. Since our powder room (or half bathroom - what do you call it?) is the smallest room in the house, I figured I'd start there since it didn't take all that much to get it ready for use.

This room is tiny. I think it's about 5' x 5' square. There is not much room in there for more than a small vanity and a toilet. I spent a long time looking for the perfect vanity for this room without much luck. Either they were all too generic, too cheap looking or too expensive for our budget. We considered using a pedestal sink but I wasn't convinced I really wanted one. They are a little too popular for my taste. So...we got creative! I was able to find a tall (almost 31") side table on sale at the Pottery Barn (made out of reclaimed wood - bonus!) and a glass vessel sink also on sale on Overstock.com. We bought a vessel sink faucet and with just a little tweaking, managed to put them all together to make a custom vanity for the small space we had available in this room. We had to make the two upper drawers "dummy" drawers because of the plumbing, but the bottom four still function and are big enough to store extra TP and cleaning supplies.



We picked a dark bluish-grey color for the walls that coordinate well with the tile floor. The color shows up lighter in these photos but I LOVE this color, it turned out to be one of my favorite wall colors in the whole house. We also used it in the laundry room, which is also tiled. We found the mirror, vanity light, and glass shelf at Lowes for a pretty reasonable price and swapped out the vanity hardware to match the fixtures. The light is pretty unique and matches the green glass of the vessel bowl perfectly. I still have to add some artwork in here but besides that, this room is pretty much complete. One down...so many more to go!


2 comments:

  1. WOW-ZA!! If your 1/2 bath looks this good I can only imagine the rest of the house! LOVE all the attention to detail and creativity in making it truly and uniquely yours!! Part of me wishes I had such opportunity with our home and the other 75% of me is glad I don't have to think about all the details. Maybe one day we'll have a little cottage somewhere that I'll be able to love the same way you will always love this house that you literally built with your own 4 hands!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Love your new signature!! You're even better than me by putting it in your actual blogger html to have it on all your posts!

    I also have been trying to figure out little by little how to update my blog a bit..add a few tabs maybe. Change a few things. In time.... I was tinkering a bit the other night and wasn't happy with what was happening and was terrified I wouldn't get back to what I originally had so I stopped messing around for now! haha

    ReplyDelete