Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Old Wives Tales - Predicting Our Bean's Gender

Boy or girl...boy or girl??? As I mentioned in our previous post, James thinks boy. I say girl. Secretly I'm hoping for a specific gender but since that puts me in the running already for worst mom of the year, I'll keep that to myself in case it turns out we're having something other than what I'm hoping for. Just for fun, let's run down the list of old wives tales for predicting gender. We find out for sure tomorrow morning (Wednesday) so stay tuned!



Gender Predictions Based on Old Wives Tales:
1) This one you can do just by looking south: if you're carrying high, break out the pink. If your bump is low, you're carrying a boy.

I personally have no idea if my bump is in the high or low category. My experienced sister-in-law Mandy (who's also preggo!) said high so we'll go with that. There's one for GIRL!

2) Next time your OB pulls out the Doppler to listen to baby's heartbeat, ask her to tell you what the heart rate is. According to legend, 140+ beats per minute indicates a girl, and below 140 a boy.

So far the bean's heart rate has been higher than 140 beats per minute. Another one for GIRL.

3) Craving ice cream every single day? Some people believe this means it's a girl. If you have to have salty or sour stuff, then it's a boy.

Definitely salty and sour. This one's going BOY!

4) This ancient method uses your age at conception and the month you did the deed to determine gender. Click here to see the chart.

Based on this crazy chart, we're having a GIRL.

5) This one's a little out there. Pee in a cup (you've been doing it at all your prenatal appointments anyway, haven't you?), mix a tablespoon of Draino in, and watch to see if it changes color. Green = girl, and blue = boy.

Ok, this was a bust for me because it didn't turn either color. Also, probably a bad idea because Draino is strong and toxic...not something pregnant women should be going near! BUST

6) Legend has it that the Mayans determined a baby's sex by looking at the mother's age at conception and the year of conception. If both are even or odd, it's a girl. If one's even and one's odd, it's a boy.

Age - 29; year - 2012. Looks like another one for BOY.

7) This is one for a friend to try. Place a key in front of your preggo friend and ask her to pick it up. If she grabs it by the narrow part, she's in for sugar and spice and all that. If she picks it up by the round part, it's snips and snails.

Since I read the rules beforehand, I had my sister-in-law Mandy do this for me. She grabbed the narrow part (I think I would have too). This one is going GIRL.

8) If you're breaking out like crazy, blame it on your girl babe. The belief goes that girls steal their mother's beauty, hence, those annoying zits.

I never had perfect skin at any point in my entire life but I wouldn't say it's gotten much worse throughout pregnancy. Giving this one to the BOY.


9) Pop off your wedding ring -- if you still can! -- and tie it to a string. Hang it over your belly. If it swings in a circle, a little guy's in your future. If it goes back and forth, you've got a girl.


Spinning circles for the BOY.

10) Sick as a dog during the first trimester -- or still? Signs indicate you're having a girl. Little or no morning sickness points to a boy.

Compared to some I had it easy. Going with BOY on this one.

11) Sleep more on right side or left? Right means girl. Left for boy.

More comfortable on my left side - Oh BOY!


Final tally - GIRL 4, BOY 6. According to legend, we're having a bouncing baby BOY. We'll find out for sure soon enough!


2 comments:

  1. the best part is that you actually tested all these tales! you're so great! also, don't feel so bad, i have a secret preference too...feels like so long until we get to find out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your killing your Mother with all these fables. Tell me before I call you.

    ReplyDelete