Thursday, May 10, 2012

Bring it On, 30.

Today is my birthday. My 20s are officially over. I'll admit, I'm not sure how I feel about this. For all the ups and downs, my 20s were a pretty sweet decade. I became a college graduate in my 20s. Twice. I landed my first (and only) job that has blossomed into a real career. I learned I could fully support myself financially. I met the love of my life. We traveled to amazing places. We found Summit. I saw so many of my beautiful friends get married and start families of their own. I bought my first car, my first computer, my first brand new TV, and my first professional camera all in my 20s. We built a house. Like from scratch. Who knew that could happen to a 20-something? I finally started to accept my body and realized that I need to exercise, not because it makes me skinnier, but because it makes me healthier and happier. I learned how to be a good friend, a good partner, a good daughter, aunt, and sister. I learned that it was okay to give in to my creative side and that being just a little bit different is the best way to be. When I was in my 20s, I learned I actually liked myself and damn it...I really like myself.


From time to time I wonder, "what if it's all downhill from here? Life has been good to me. What if this is as good as it gets?" But, somehow, I know that is not true. the last ten years have provided a solid foundation for what's to come. Just like an introductory chapter int he story of my life. The plot can't help but thicken after a decade like that. More milestones lie ahead of me and life is only going to get better in my 30s. In fact, it already has.

As things turn out, I'll be spending the next two weeks exploring the wonders of the Pacific Northwest with my mom. I've never been to that part of our country. We have no real plans or any itinerary. It will be a true adventure. I can't think of a more appropriate way to start the next chapter of my life. Bring it on, 30s. I'm ready for you.

4 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Cary! It really is amazing to look back over the last 10 years and see all you've learned and done. I love it when I hear someone say that they honestly like who they are and accept and love themselves. I think the 20's are a decade of evolution and I too am looking forward to starting my 30's soon. Hope you have a wonderful day and I can't wait to see all the beautiful pictures you're going to get while visiting the Pacific Northwest with your mom. It's such a beautiful part of the country!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so proud to be your mom. Proud of what you have done, who you have become and all the dreams ahead. Remember, life will become more complex and challenges await. Don't forget to smell the roses, play in the dirt and look forward. Regret as little as possible, and dream, dream, DREAM and DO IT ALL.

    Love ya Smom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post Cary, and happy birthday!! You sure did have a wonderful decade. I live in Seattle if you want any advice on things to do :)

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Leslie. And thanks for checking out the blog. We're spending most of our time in Oregon, but hope to make it to Olympic NP if we have time. Hope all is well on your end!

      Delete