Tuesday, April 17, 2012

My DIY Terrarium

Have you noticed that terrariums are making a come back? Flip through the pages of some trendy home decor magazines and you'll see (here and here to name just a few). And the prices at those trendy places seem to be just trending upward - that second example is a "mini" terrarium and it's on sale for $98! But I liked these things so much that I had to have one. So instead of breaking the bank, I made a few myself.


First I went out and bought three glass containers at Home Goods. They ranged in price from $2.99 for the smallest to $7.99 for the big one. On one of our recent Home Depot outings I stopped by the household plant section and found a few good houseplants (and few small outdoor perennials) on sale. I choose plants that like part sun since they won't be getting full sun all of the time indoors. I also picked up some dried moss, pebbles and used some potting soil we already had. The total for all of my materials came to about $35, including the glass containers.

First I put the rocks in on the bottom followed by a layer of moss.


Topped it with potting soil, stuffed in as many plants as possible and covered the soil with another light layer of moss.

I had several extra plants so I filled the left over pots with them.

Turns out $35 goes a long way on house plants if you spend it right!


2 comments:

  1. So cool! I just met with our wedding florist this past Saturday and he suggested using woodland-type terrariums on our tables! Yours look great! Succulents are awesome plants. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marissa. That sounds like a great idea for your centerpieces. And also, after the wedding is over you or your guests can take them home and enjoy them! Way better than cut flowers. Good luck with all the planning, it's such an exciting time!

      Delete