Saturday, February 19, 2011

New Life

For the past week, I've been held captive by two birds and three eggs. Let me show you what I mean...

This family of Bald Eagles lives in the Blackwater Refuge in Maryland. Just today, literally like an hour ago, the first of three eggs hatched. I know this because I've been obsessively checking the Refuge's live eagle cam every five minutes. Call me a nature nerd but I can't help myself. Below are some still shots of the nest and the series of four pictures shows the first chick coming out of its shell. I'll keep my eyes on the action for you all and update this post when the other two chicks make their way into the world, hopefully with some better pictures.


Top: mom and dad preparing the nest and incubating the eggs. Below: two chicks, one egg left (2/21)


"The morning of a new life is like the dawn of a day, full of purity, visions and harmony." ~Chateubriand


UPDATE: As of Friday, all three chicks are hatched and healthy!

1 comment: