Monday, November 2, 2009

Boys and Their Toys

I know I promised wedding recaps, but I'd be in big trouble if I didn't get this post in before I set off on my wedding review (which depending on how thorough I am, could take awhile, haha). This story actually goes back a few months when James came home with a new toy, a small remote control airplane. And boy was he excited (I can't quite say the same for me). Remember this post? Yup, that's the plane. And it didn't take long to get it stuck in a tree either. It also didn't take long for James to "outgrow" the little plane which was somehow just a bit inferior to its larger, fancier counterparts (like big brother Curt's). Still, with all our spending money being saved for the wedding, there certainly wasn't any extra for a big new Styrofoam airplane (you would think something made out of Styrofoam couldn't be that expensive -not so).

So life went on with little mention of new toys, however I could tell secretly he was dreaming of flying machines. So as a surprise, I made a top secret trip up to the local hobby shop and bought James his wedding present, a Super Cub RC airplane. I stashed it for two weeks in my office at work and gave it to him the day before the wedding. What a surprise! It didn't take long before James and Curt got the thing assembled and off on its maiden voyage. Needless to say, there was a lot of male bonding going on over our wedding weekend. The Super Cub (Curt's) even made a surprise appearance at the wedding!


Maiden flight. The Cubs are lined up and ready to go!


A minor malfunction left his Super Cub flightless, but Curt wouldn't let the Cub go grounded for its big moment!

Two weeks ago, Curt sent us photos of his Super Cub. He had given it a new look. James was instantly inspired.


Curt's souped-up Super Cub

And now I present you...the Red Baron. Boys will be boys.


James' souped-up Super Cub - can you tell how he came up with the call letters?


Summit wondering how she can get in on the fun.

Last weekend James, Summit and I went down to Haddam Meadows to witness the Red Baron's first flight. All went smoothly until a glitch with the receiver sent the Baron spiraling towards the ground. Luckily, the damage was minor...nothing a little glue can't fix. And I'm sure we'll be back at it again next weekend. Enjoy the video clips, the second one shows the crash landing!


The Baron's broken wing




1 comment: