Friday, October 10, 2014

Baby #2: 34 Week Bump

Here we are at the end of our 34th week growing baby #2. I'm looking and feeling pretty big these days. I can't decide if I look bigger than I did at this point in my first pregnancy but I think maybe the bump is a bit bigger? Truth is, it's probably pretty close, but this time I feel like my bump is distributed more toward the front of my body. With Cecelia I was wider in the hips. Who knows. Either way, I gained a lot of weight during my first pregnancy and it looks like this time will be no different.

One positive is that I'm not experiencing carpel tunnel syndrome nearly as bad this time around as I did the first time I was pregnant. With Cece, it was nearly debilatating toward the end. I couldn't even hold a pencil! My fingers swell and feel creaky at times but its nothing compared to round one. However, it seems I've traded carpel tunnel for some serious heartburn this time around. It's like I have a fire burning in my chest 24/7. And no Tums or extra milk for me after the bout with my kidney stone. Super.

At my 32 week appointment my doctor actually said I was measuring small and that the baby felt like it could be behind where it should be in size. I almost laughed because I sure didn't feel small and tried not to worry for the two weeks before my next appointment where they did a growth scan (ultrasound) to be sure everything was alright in there. Well, it turns out everything is more than alright...I'm growing a monster. The baby is huge. More specifically, he's estimated to be 6 lbs already and is in the 91% for weight. His head is big and he's measuring two weeks ahead of schedule. Yikes. Now part of me is worried about delivering a 10 lb baby! No wonder I look and feel so big. He feels big too. This kid is not so much a kicker as a pusher. I constantly feel little hands and feet stretching and pushing outward. From the outside it looks like the kid is trying to escape.  It is such a strange feeling and honestly not a very comfortable one either.

Looking back on my 34 week update during my first pregnancy, it sounds like at this point we had already had our baby shower, had the nursery all set up, started birth classes, honed in on names and thought about the babe around the clock. This time? Ha. I'm lucky if I have 10 minutes during my day to think about my pregnancy. Babe doesn't have a name, a room or anything to wear yet. All the baby gear is still up in the attic and our birth plan is just to wing it. Safe to say things are a bit different the second time around!

No comments:

Post a Comment