Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Kitchen Preview

I love so many things about our new house but one of the things I love the most is our kitchen. Many hours have gone into designing and planning this part of the house so it's exciting to finally see it all start to come together. I barely slept a wink the night before our cabinets were installed that's how excited I was to finally see my kitchen. Dork, I know.





I might be able to bathe in our farmhouse sink. It's a monster!


Our kitchen countertops will be the grey one, on the right. Coming soon!


Our "industrial" pendants. Three smaller ones over the island. Big one above sink.


Appliances just waiting for their turn!

A little special note needs to be said about our island countertop. Simply put (and I understand I may be biased) it is to die for. The pictures don't really do it justice either, especially since I took them at night. First off, it is HUGE! We have more space than we know what to do with in this kitchen, mostly thanks to the giant island centerpiece. We had the top handmade for us in Michigan out of a sustainable type of wood called Lyptus. You may know Lyptus better by the name Eculyptus. As in the stuff that koala bears eat. Why is it sustainable? Because like bamboo, eculypus grows exceptionally fast. Additionally, is grown using sustainable practices on plantations rather than being harvested from wild spaces like old growth forests or rainforests. Lyptus is a dense, close grain wood making it ideal for millwork. The color you see is its natural tone so no additional stains or harsh chemicals were needed to finish it to achieve the look we were going for. We shopped around quite a bit for a wood countertop that met our needs and our budget (Lyptus is surprisingly affordable!) and this one definitely did both.



Every little detail of this kitchen was designed by us. From the layout to the giant island, the mantle shelf over the range hood to the coffee station and pantry nook. I searched high and low for the perfect sink, lights, facuets, hardware and appliances. It took a lot of time and planning to get it just right, but we're really happy with how it has turned out so far and can't wait to see all the finishing details come together! Stay tuned for more.

1 comment:

  1. Your new kitchen is beyond gorgeous! You did such an incredible job of designing it and picking all of the custom details. I don't know what my favorite part is, but I'm definitely loving your lyptus island!

    ReplyDelete