Tuesday, May 10, 2011

At 29

Today is my 29th birthday. Soon, I'll start a new decade. There are a lot of things I've learned in my 29 years and many more things I'll learn in the years ahead of me. I had a quiet night this week to think about where I am at 29. So here you go. Sorry for the sap.



At 29, I can officially recall my “early 20’s.” And when I do, I wonder who was that twenty-year old girl, and how is it possible that she was ever me?

At 29, I realize every day of my life that I have been lucky in love and lucky to be loved.

At 29, I don’t look back on things that “could have been” because where I am right now is where I was always meant to be.

At 29, I have one grey hair that has been in place for several years now (yes, just one) and upon closer inspection I have not just a few but many fine wrinkles around my eyes.

At 29, I have two amazing parents that I can’t imagine living without, even at this stage of adulthood. They somehow figured out how to right my wrongs without ever over-parenting. They also taught me about humility, honesty and unconditional love. Additionally, I have a father who has taught me to be stubborn. Thank you, Dad.

At 29, I have the same girlfriends I had when I was 6 (plus a few "extras" I picked up along the way). Relationships forged on playgrounds sometimes struggle to keep up with the pace, challenges and personal growth of adulthood, but regardless of time and change, we still carve out special moments for each other and I know they’ll be there for me long into my golden years.

At 29, I have learned many things about life that can’t be taught in school or from storybooks but rather only from personal suffering. I wouldn’t take back the pain because without the scars, I wouldn’t be who I am today. Those scars remind me everyday of the lessons I fought so hard to learn.

At 29, I have a closet full of shoes. And I can’t help it but I love them all and most of them I got on sale.

At 29, I continue to evolve and know that the person I am today will not be the person I am at 39 or 49 or certainly not the person I’ll be if I see 79.

At 29, I have a brother and sister-in-law who are now close in proximity and even closer to heart. They have two beautiful children whose laughter is infectious and whose touch makes me wonder what it might be like to be a parent someday.

At 29, I am settling into my career and I’m proud of how hard I’ve worked for it.

At 29, I have aches and pains that weren’t there five years ago and when I wake up in the morning with stiff, swollen fingers, I think of my grandmother who had debilitating arthritis and I wonder if I’m next.

At 29, I have many hobbies but only two passions: running and making art.

At 29, I have fewer questions about who I am in the world and more concern about how I can better the world around me.

At 29, I have life insurance and a 403(b). Soon enough, I’ll also own a mortgage.

At 29, I have a husband who knows me better than anyone. At times, even better than I know myself. A man who accepts my flaws, encourages my talents and holds me up when I need support. A gentle, kind and caring man. The keeper of my heart.

At 29, I have a strong sense of self. I have role models and men and women in my life that I aspire to be like. But I am my own woman and dare I say there really is no one quite like me.

And finally, at 29, I am settling in. Because let’s face it, at 29, there’s still a long road ahead of me.

3 comments:

  1. "The keeper of my heart" - I love that! And I love this entire post! And I love you!! Happy 29! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Nic. I added something to the "girlfriends" line because I realized I was missing someone. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your post! I feel the same way about being happy with where I am at in my life at 29. :)

    ReplyDelete