Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Return to the 'Burg

Last weekend I returned to my alma mater, Gettysburg College for the first time since I graduated in the spring of 2004.



Gettysburg is a small, isolated Pennsylvania town best known as the site of the most pivotal battle of the Civil War. It also is the site of a small liberal arts college and where I spent four of the most formative years of my life. I loved my time at Gettysburg and had such an amazing experience as part of the Environmental Studies (ES) program at the college. So when Gettysburg asked me to come back and speak to current ES students about my career as a GIS professional and my experience in the 'real world,' I couldn't say no. It was quite something walking around campus again. The sights, sounds and smells brought back so many memories. I couldn't quite decide if it made me feel young again or just old, haha.


Pennsylvania Hall served as a hospital during the Civil War and is said to be haunted by a ghost who stands at the ready upon the cupola on top of the building. Read about it here.


Two of the oldest buildings on campus - Penn Hall (L) and Glatfelter Hall (R)


The new fitness center, built after I graduated (sad face)


The Science Center, where I spent 99.9% of my academic life at Gettysburg


My totally awesome academic adviser, Dr. John "Doc" Commito. Can you believe there was still a picture of me up on the bulletin board outside the Environmental Studies department? It's been there for seven years!!

Of course, I also had to take time to visit the historic and sprawling battlefields again. Gettysburg is really an interesting place to visit. Did you know that today marks the 150th anniversary of the start of the Civil War? The gravity of the events that occurred there almost 150 years ago hits you the minute you enter the township. Over 50,000 people died in three days at Gettysburg. That is really unbelievable. The college itself sits on a portion of the battlefield and its oldest building, Pennsylvania Hall, served as a hospital during the war. During my four years at Gettysburg I ran every mile of the battlefields, often alone, often at dawn or dusk. I tell you, there is nothing quiet like that experience. It's an eerie and awesome thing.





If you get the chance, visit Gettysburg. I can promise you that you will not be disappointed. I cannot however promise you that you will not see a ghost.


2 comments:

  1. Awesome, Cary! What an exciting return to campus for you! I'm so proud of you! :)

    ReplyDelete