Thursday, June 11, 2015

Sleep Training

I don't know who needs "sleep training" more...me, Sully or Cece. All three of us could use help, I think. Sully. Oh, Sully. Why would you want to sleep in your crib (ok, pack and play) when you can snuggle up to Mommy? This is what Sully's bed usually looks like...where's Sully you ask?

In our bed! This kid has got the bed snuggle down pat. He burrows in and goes for it. And who am I to deny him? It's just about the coziest way to sleep. Which has led of course to the inevitable fact that he cannot sleep any other way. Sleep through the night next to mom? Check. Sleep through the night on his own. Never. In fact, never more than three hours on his own. So, here I am with an 18 pound baby who is clearly capable of sleeping but doesn't want to do it any other way than next to us. We have "cried it out" just like we did with Cece around this age. It took her 10 minutes and two nights to catch on. Sully will go and go and go and go...until he practically can't breath anymore. It's too much for my heart to take. So I scoop him up and bring him to bed. And so it goes. He's my last baby so I have more or less come to terms with the way it is. I don't care what you have to say about it, I'm going to snuggle my baby. My last baby. Maybe until he's 18 if he'll let me.

Let's move on to Cece. We are stuck in a holding pattern with this girl. She sleeps like a dream at night and girlfriend likes to sleep in. She'll go until 8:30 on most mornings if we let her. In her crib. She's two and a half and it's time for a big girl bed. She's had it set up in her room for six months or more. We read in it. She jumps on it. We talk about sleeping in it. But come bedtime, she always asks for her crib. So we haven't pushed the issue. And at times, she still naps like a dream in it too so we have been reluctant to say goodbye to it. However, I'd like to claim the crib for Sully so he doesn't have to sleep in a pack and play (not that he does anyway, ha). So...it's time. We attempted nap time in the big girl bed the other day. I've since been told that nap time is NOT the time to go for it with a big kid bed. Better to wait until they are really tired (or drugged, haha...kidding people!) to make the switch. Turns out nap time was not the right time. But Cece did have a blast exploring her room, reading books and basically swinging from the rafters" when we tried this during nap time the other day. Oy! We have some work to do!




1 comment:

  1. I have had 3 babies. Two were/are great sleepers without any effort to get the sleep job done. One was a monster who didn't sleep through the night in his own bed until he was around a year old. It's not like we did anything different with the bad sleeper. It's just the way he was. He's still our crappiest sleeper, but at least he's in his own bed (except at nap time when he sleeps on the couch).

    Some babies are crappy sleepers. It's not the parents' fault. But those baby cuddles are great.

    ReplyDelete