Thursday, March 26, 2015

Sullivan at Four Months

Oh here I go again, falling behind. I did however take these pictures at Sully's four month mark, I just missed the boat when it came to writing this post on time. So it goes.


At four months Sully is:

A very happy little lad. If you happen to make eye contact with him, you are guaranteed a big, gummy smile. He loves to smile, this kid. He is in a major drooling phase too. I'm not sure if he's starting to feel those teeth move around under his gums or what but he pretty much always has a bib on to prevent the need for five outfit changes a day. I don't remember Cece drooling like that, although she did spit up a lot more than he did. She also didn't get a tooth until she was almost a year old. Should be interesting to see if Sully follows suit.

As happy as he is, over the past two weeks or so we have experienced a bit of a sleep regression. He used to be pretty solid and reliable in his sleep schedule. I was getting used to it. Now, it seems like on a good night he'll pass out around 9 and then be up at 12, 2, 4 and 6 AM. On a good night, he'll eat and just go right back to sleep. On some nights however, he's not really into sleeping after say 2 AM. That can be rough. I'm not exactly sure what's behind this unsettled sleep schedule but if we have too many "off" nights in a row I turn into a big grinch. It's no wonder though because on those kind of nights I'm averaging maybe 4-5 hours of broken sleep with maybe the longest stretch being an hour and a half. On most days that just ain't going to cut it. And add in the random nights when Cece wakes up...all hell breaks loose.

He's growing like a champ too. We just had his four month check up. He's just over 15 pounds. That means he's supposed to start sleeping better, right!? Sigh. He's built solid though, a real bruiser, I'd say. His head is so much bigger than I remember Cece's being. He's wearing 6 and 9 month clothing. He's strong and likes to stand with a little help. He loves bouncing, just like Cece did around this age. He bobs around in his jumperoo, usually until Cece notices and starts bouncing him so much I think she might launch him into outer space. That's usually when I have to step in.

I'd say he's "thiiiiiis close" to rolling from his tummy to his back. If I left him on the floor long enough I'm convinced he'd do it. Unfortunately between his over enthusiastic sister and wild Summit, the poor kid just doesn't get a lot of tummy time.

Sully's still nursing at least 6-7 times a day. He takes three 4 ounce bottles at day care. Pumping at work and at night to keep up with him is rough. I've mastered the art of pumping in public places and in the car. Thank goodness for hands free pumping bras. I can't say it's my favorite though and when he goes through those growth spurts meeting his demand for breastmilk can be stressful. I've been taking natural supplements, drinking a ton of water and making lactation cookies (yum) to try and keep up. It definitely works but I have to stay on top of it. Hopefully it will get easier when he starts solids in a few months. I do love nursing though. He loves it too.

That's about it. Little Sully is a treat. Almost always happy. Loves to be entertained by his sister. Looks like his daddy. Eyelashes that go on for days. Only poops every three days. Fuzzy light reddish blonde hair. Drools a lot. Likes to babble. Starting to screech and giggle. Has baby rolls. Enjoys bath time and snuggling. Lots to love there.

PS- Here's Cece's 4 month update and Sully's previous months of growing.

1 comment:

  1. Bradford was a chronic drooler starting at about 4 months old. He didn't spring a tooth until he was 9 months old. In contrast, Warren never drooled (or spat up) and didn't get his first tooth until just before he turned 1.

    Warren was also a crap hole sleeper. He didn't sleep through the night until some time after he turned 1. He would wake up ever hour or 2 all night long. It was misery. I feel for you! Eventually he started to go for 4 hour stretches. At this point, he was old enough for water, so we just gave him an ounce of water in a bottle to cut out the social reward of nursing and cuddles. He usually fell right back to sleep. All that kid wanted to do was smile and hang out all night long.

    At age 3, he's still a crappy sleeper. He wakes up a couple times a night to go potty, talks in his sleep (or rather he shouts and screams in his sleep), and wakes up earlier in the morning than I do.

    Some day we'll all sleep again.

    ReplyDelete