Saturday, August 2, 2014

Maine Vacation, Part I: The Cabin

I took a lot of photos in Maine so I figured it's best to break up our vacation into 2 or 3 separate posts. The first is devoted to our digs. We found this rustic "camp" cabin rental on VRBO. It was on West Pond in southern Maine. The house slept 11 in bunks and single beds. It was perfect for us. At the busiest point we had 8 adults, 4 kids and 3 dogs in and around the house including my parents, my brother's family and our friends Kris and Gina. My brother brought his pop-up and parked it in the driveway. There was plenty of room for us all!

The "pond" was more of what I'd call a small lake. The water was clear and clean and each morning we were greeted by the call of loons across the pond.


 
The lake was the perfect size and the fishing was great. Throughout the week we all caught multiple fish, mostly large and small mouth bass. We even kept one for dinner. I had my reservations, but it was actually pretty tasty. 

The lake was also great for swimming, canoeing and kayaking. We couldn't keep the kids (or the dogs) out of the water.

When we weren't swimming, fishing or on the pond, we were just relaxing around the cabin. It was a great place to just lay back and chill out.

The cabin was perfectly located. It was just the right size in a rural, quiet area and close to both the coast and the mountains. More on those outings in part II...stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment